Monday, February 12, 2007

Tsunami Kid and Pete do Shoreham!

"Yesterday me and Rich headed out to Shoreham for some surfing action, the account below is from the Tsunami Kid"

After checking out the spots we decided to paddle round to 'the corner or death', where a massive turbulent swell builds and smashes against the harbour arm! This is one of the few spots in the globe where you get huge waves coming parallel to the beach as well as onto it.

For those of you who aren't familiar with kayak surfing, your supposed to have a nice long surfboard shaped boat that you can carve smoothly across the wave, but we (the royal we) don't do that! I've got a tiny boat and my technique involves paddling hard, holding tight while the breaking wave powers me up-to speed and then bouncing around pulling as many moves as possible!

I'd managed to catch a handful of 10ft beasts and survive without meeting the wall or beach so when I saw the biggest wave ever on the horizon I went for it.

Sitting at the top of the pile I was faced with a giant 15ft drop down into the trough. I braced myself for impact and launched off the face, after landing I was surfing the monster but was surrounded by foam and sucking in seawater! The wave eased off, time for my escape before imminent collision but my brief glimmer of hope was snatched way as the wave built and I was tearing down the face again only this time I was in the 'Aerial Zone' and facing a barrage of waves coming parallel to the beach. As I screamed into the trough a parallel wave smashed into me, launching me into the air and flipping me vertically.
A quick roll and the beach was fast approaching. No turning back, hold tight and prepare for Shorehams infamous beach dump!

Well, I survived, and although there was no route back out for me I watched Pete have another half hour playing before we decided to try a different spot.

We paddled back into the harbour where the sweetest 6ft clean waves were rolling in. A few phat aerial moves later we were done and happy with a great end to the day.

Thanks to Pete.

(din't take many pictures!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home