Monday, June 30, 2008

1st and a 3rd what can you say.

The weekend of the 28th 29th June saw a double div 3 and 4 at Shepperton weir, now I don’t want to say that me or Seth had been taking this seriously but Seth had been getting pointers of Mike (all the way from Greenland) and I’d been on the e-mail to ex Olympic games medallist Jochen Lettmann for a last few minuet tip’s, In his immortal words “Pete just remember to keep your body between the gates!”


(Me at the start)

(Lee at the trickey gate 9)

Well anyway I had to beat Seth by 10 seconds, other wise I had to buy lunch! This was my first slalom and so had entered Div 4, Seth, a veteran at slalom now was in Div 3. We had helps build the course 4 day earlier at Shepperton but as this was a double the course had been changed when we finally arrived on Sunday, so quick as a flash we jumped on to try out the changes, I also had a quick chance to try out my new boat for the day, this race was also going to be the first UK race for the Jackson Ricocet. We also bumped into another valley local Mr Lee Pike, Lee an ex premier division c1 paddler is also rediscovering his love of slalom (in a C1!) and in his two judges runs laid down two good times. On our first runs both Seth and I had planned to put down a good solid clean run, I did this, Seth however on the last gate was awarded a 50 second penalty by Lee!!!!!! Friends for you ;-) On our second runs both of us tried to push a little more, but in doing so also hit a little more, so although posting faster times after penalties our first runs were both best!


(George & Poppy heckling at the start!)

(seth ducking and diving)

At the end of the day I had Finished 1st in Div 4 and Seth came 3rd in div 3. The best thing is I don’t have to buy lunch! Hay Seth……..

Well done to Shepperton Canoe Club for putting on a great weekend and well done Andy for setting up a cracking course. Everyone reading this how doesn’t paddle slalom, give it a go, It’s a really good laugh. And Div 3 & 4 you can paddle anything…….. Thank you Aaron for the loan of the Ricocet, Mission complete race won!


(Rendal, The machine! 94.8 seconds and the fastest run!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home